Casinos for you
Flashback to 7 Amazing Historic Photographs – National Camera DayBy Shane Addinall Jun 29, 2021In celebration of National Camera Day, we look at the development of colour theory, photographic principles, how photography shaped the world we know and showcase our 7 favourite historical photos.
In celebration of National Camera Day, we are taking a look at the development of the humble camera lens, flash photography and how it has influenced one of the fastest growing online gambling verticals – live dealer casinos.
Sit back and relax as we take a trip down memory lane to delve into the history of the first camera and revisit some of the most iconic photographs of all time.
Where It All Began
Unlike the invention of the telephone where it is easy to pinpoint a single creator, the development of photographic theory and the creation of the first portable camera is definitely more a case of “it takes a village”.
Some of the important milestones in the development of photography include:
- Chinese and Greek theories from around the 5th century BC regarding light refraction and how optics work would come to set the standard for early photographic principles.
- In 1685, based on the concept of ‘camera obscura’ inventor Johann Zahn created a blueprint for a “hand-held device with a mirror-reflex mechanism” which would become the forefather of the modern camera.
- In 1672 Sir Isaac Newton published his experiments using these early concepts of light refraction. This led to the discovery of the colour spectrum which makes up white light.
- In 1729 Johann Heinrich Schulze printed the experiments he undertook to prove that when exposed to sunlight, rather than heat, silver nitrate darkens, leading to the ability to “burn” an image onto a surface.
Individually each of these discoveries, while astounding, would appear to be somewhat useless for everyday life. However, from our end of the historical lens, we know that cumulatively they have changed the face of the world.
How Important Is the Camera?
The use of video and photography are so common in modern life that we rarely give it a second thought.
Here are a few ways in which the invention of the camera has impacted the world and made it the one we live in today:
- Media and Entertainment: Without the development of colour theory and photography the film industry, social media tools like Instagram and the burgeoning live video streaming industries such as Twitch would not exist.
- Social Awareness and Justice: Thanks to the ability for everyone to take high resolution photos and videos on low-cost cameras and even mobile phones the world is far more aware of global injustices and crimes against humanity – claims that now can be proven with photographic evidence.
- Business and Communication: Easy access to video streaming services and cheap VOIP call costs have been a lifesaver for businesses across the board in the face of the growing need to allow staff to work from home and the fact that often even small businesses need to deal with international suppliers.
- Preservation of History: Some of our greatest and most heartbreaking moments throughout recent history are perfectly preserved for future generations to admire and learn from.
- Online Gambling: Without the development of high resolution photography and its evolution into high-resolution streaming we would not have access to the amazing selection of live dealer games on offer from Evolution Gaming and NetEnt.
On a more day-to-day basis even something as simple as taking a photograph of the family and sending it to your loved ones during the lockdowns would have been impossible a few hundred years ago.
Our Top 7 Historical Photographs
There are many photo essays online depicting the Times and other publications “Top 20” to “Top 100” photographs of all time.However, as a hat tip to the superstitions around the lucky number 7 we have handpicked our Top 7 most iconic photographs:
✓1932 - Lunch Atop a Skyscraper by Unknown
✓1945 - V-J Day in Times Square by Alfred Eisenstaedt
✓1948 - Dalí Atomicus by Philippe Halsman
✓1965 - Muhammad Ali versus Sonny Liston by Neil Leifer
✓1969 - A Man on the Moon by NASA and Neil Armstrong
✓1984 - Afghan Girl by Steve McCurry
✓1995 - Pillars of Creation by NASA & the Hubble Telescope
Tagsphotography national camera day camera lens camera obscura isaac newton johann heinrich schulze johann zahn live streaming live dealer games live dealer casino
Related Blog Posts
The Top 10 Largest And Most Magnificent Casinos Around The World
The Top 10 Largest And Most Magnificent Casinos Around The WorldWhether you are new to gambling or you are a high roller, these are the largest and most magnificent venues in the world, and they deserve your attention for your next big trip.
Horse Racing From Ancient History to Today
Horse Racing From Ancient History to TodayPeople have raced horses and bet on the winners for thousands of years. Although racing is one of the world's oldest sports, it is still very much alive today.Mar 05, 2020 GamblersPick
8 Las Vegas Secrets, Scandals, and Hidden Gems That Will Shock You
8 Las Vegas Secrets, Scandals, and Hidden Gems That Will Shock YouWhat is hidden in the underbelly of Las Vegas? Learn the Las Vegas secrets, both scandals, and surreptitious hangouts, that only locals know.
Crypto Gambling: A Closer Look
Crypto Gambling: A Closer LookCryptocurrency is used by many casino and sports betting sites, as it provides some advantages not offered by normal money sites. The digital coinage works well on digital platforms.Mar 08, 2020 GP News Team
Cheaters! 18 Star Athletes Caught Cheating in Sports
Cheaters! 18 Star Athletes Caught Cheating in SportsCheating in sports is not cool, especially when there are millions of dollars at stake. Check out these shocking examples of sports stars caught cheating!Feb 25, 2020 GP News Team
5G & Augmented Reality Set to Forever Change Online Gaming
5G & Augmented Reality Set to Forever Change Online Gaming5G could be the biggest technological breakthrough in the recent history, allowing developers to create games immersed in highly developed AR worlds.Mar 05, 2020 GP News Team
The Top Gambling Movies of All Time
The Top Gambling Movies of All TimeHollywood has made some truly memorable movies about gambling. Some are tragic, and some are whimsical. Some are even both. Check out these few, in no particular order.
Fascinating Facts About Foreign Lotteries You Have to Know
Fascinating Facts About Foreign Lotteries You Have to KnowThere's evidence that the ancient Chinese, Romans andPeople love to take chances, and they love the idea of becoming an instant millionaire by playing the lottery.Mar 01, 2020 GamblersPick