The Dutch Gaming Regulator (KSA) made a bold statement last week, showcasing the fact that they will be intolerant of all online casino vendors who try and service the citizens of the Netherlands, illegally.
Two betting sites owned by Curacao registered Virtual Coin Gaming NV, were found guilty of infringing the Dutch gambling laws and were brought to book with €600,000 worth of fines. The company was charged the first €500,000 and an un-named individual associated with the casino was fined a further €100,000.
While it will be possible to apply for remote gambling licenses to service the country with games of chance, this process will only begin on 1 March 2021. It will do so with the view of being able to offer games of chance by September of 2021. The KSA reminded operators that:
“The current law does not make it possible to apply for a license for online games of chance. This will change with the Remote Gambling Act (KOA Act).”
An investigation that ran from February 12th to October 1st of 2018 revealed that the offending company specifically earmarked young Dutch gamblers for illicit gambling. This was determined because the marketing was conducted in Dutch and each website used the prefix or suffix ‘NL’ which pertains to the Netherlands. The payment option offered to the Dutch gamblers (iDEAL) was region-specific as well.
It was found that in this specific instance, young Dutch adults were allowed to play FUT-Jackpot, which is a football-themed casino game like Money Wheel. It was also ascertained that this game of chance contains loot box item packs which are outlawed in the Netherlands.
Combining these factors, the regulator decided to impose a harsh penalty that should serve as a warning to other remote casinos that the Netherlands was a ‘no-fly zone’ unless they have secured the necessary permits to service the region.
The Importance of Strict Regulation
It is encouraging to see that the Dutch Regulators have made positive steps to penalise illegal gaming vendors in the region. Good regulation is very necessary for ensuring a safe and secure gambling environment.
The fact that the country has taken the necessary steps to legalise and regulate online chance gambling is a notable step in the right direction. This way, players can enjoy a diversity of great entertainment, while being sheltered by lawful interventions to guide them.
Good regulation ensures:
- Fair games: Licensed vendors will have to submit their games for testing which ensures that only the best software will be available to play on.
- Fair Business Practice: The casinos, themselves, will be vetted and judged on whether they can and will offer an ethical code of conduct.
- Truthful Marketing: A lawful environment ensures that casinos cannot mislead their customers through false advertising.
- Responsible Gaming Protocols: A regulated environment ensures that players have access to good responsible gambling tools to help them curb problem gambling.
- Protection of Minors: Regulation helps curb the harmful effects of gambling on minors. The KSA has mentioned in the past that gaming and gambling must be separated clearly.
The new era in Dutch gaming is sure to provide an amicable environment for players, casinos, and the regulator. We look forward to revelling in the growth of this new gambling jurisdiction, which promises to offer a solid foundation for gaming.