Progressive Jackpots Games
No more results
There are no progressive jackpots to show
Progressive jackpots became a popular addition to land-based casinos in 1986 when International Game Technology (IGT) revealed their revolutionary slot machine, Megabucks. The idea of a casino game “giving back” to players by adding a portion of their losses to a centralised prize pool was an instant hit.
Not only did this exciting new casino game give players a chance to win back their collective losses, but the progressive jackpot prize pool was large enough to grab the imagination of any player looking to win big. The first progressive jackpot payout was awarded on February 1, 1987, and the lucky player won over $4.9 million.
With the advent of online gambling, the jackpot niche became even more intriguing with the release of Microgaming's Mega Moolah progressive jackpot slot. It would become the first mobile slot to pay over $1 million, and the 2015 win of €17,879,645.12 would see the Mega Moolah and Microgaming awarded a Guinness World Record for ‘Largest Jackpot Payout in an Online Slot Machine Game’. Their progressive jackpot network has recorded more than €1 billion in player winnings!
Since then, progressive jackpots have been added to an array of casino games, including live dealer games, blackjack, video poker, keno, and online poker.
To understand how progressive jackpots work, here are several terms which are worth knowing:
- Progressive jackpot: This is the term for any growing jackpot prize pool offered over and above the maximum payout of a casino game.
- Fixed jackpot: This is the term used to describe jackpot prizes offered on games which do not grow based on player bets but are a multiple of the current bet amount.
- Network: Any progressive casino game which can be played at multiple online casinos is a networked game.
- Side bet: Any bet paid in addition to the primary wager of the game being played to participate in or trigger an additional jackpot prize.
- Trigger: This is the action, be it random or based on specific in-game outcomes, which need to be met for a player to win a progressive jackpot.
- Jackpot Provider: This company provides a progressive jackpot prize pool. It is not always the same company as the casino game provider.
- Jackpot Ticker: This live feed shows the current value of a progressive jackpot game. In the case of jackpot games that payout within specific periods, this ticker can also include the number of hours or days since the last win.
- Hot Jackpot: This progressive jackpot game has paid out recently, including smaller payouts.
- Cold Jackpot: These are progressive jackpot games that are not paying out despite being played regularly.
As progressive jackpot games are offered as bonus rewards on top of other games such as slots, blackjack, roulette, keno, and others, most of the rules you need to know will revolve around the type of game you are playing.
When it comes to triggering a progressive jackpot, all you need to know is:
- Are there any specific requirements for activating the progressive jackpot on your game? This trigger can include a side bet, a minimum stake, or another form of in-game provision.
- You can trigger a progressive jackpot in one of two ways. Some wins require you to meet a predefined in-game result, such as filling the reels with a specific symbol, while others are triggered randomly by the game engine.
- Progressive jackpot wins are managed outside of the casino environment, meaning a win will first need to be verified before being added to your account. You can then request a withdrawal, which can take a few days.
We recommend not being distracted by betting strategy guides that promise big wins, as the casino RNG determines each progressive jackpot. This technology ensures that it cannot be predicted or forced, making it a random outcome.
The best way to successfully navigate the world of progressive jackpot gambling is to have a strategy. It is worth noting that, as with any other form of online gambling, there is no way to guarantee you will win a progressive jackpot. Instead, a sound strategy will allow you to maximise your play time, enjoy the games you play and manage your budget well!
We recommend playing progressive jackpot games keeping the following in mind:
- Limit Your Bet Size: Only bet as much as the progressive jackpot requires to trigger the feature. Betting more will not win you more or improve your odds of winning, making the extra spending unnecessary.
- Understand Volatility and RTP: Play progressive jackpot games that offer the best combination of volatility and RTP% to increase the probability of a successful outcome.
- Play Consistently: Set a budget and play your favourite progressive jackpot games often rather than playing infrequently but for large amounts.
- Please use Jackpot Tickers: While they do not guarantee a progressive jackpot payout, tickers will let you know which games have recently been won and which are coming close to values they have previously paid out.
- Avoid Cookie Cutter Betting Strategies: Any formula promoted as a "guaranteed way to win" is a scam. A random number generator decides all progressive jackpots. Avoid the betting strategies and play the games you enjoy.
Understand how to activate a progressive jackpot.
Progressive jackpots are rewards paid out in addition to the game's payouts. Sometimes, you must meet specific in-game criteria to activate the progressive jackpot feature.
Use jackpot tickers to track overdue games.
Progressive jackpot tickers are an excellent tool for tracking payout patterns and then using this information to play games that appear close to or even passed prize pool values that have been paid out.
Find progressive jackpots on the types of games you prefer
Historically online slots were the main games to offer progressive jackpots. Recently software providers have been adding progressive jackpots to all casino games, allowing you to play the games you enjoy most while still vying for a jackpot payout.
Claim available bonuses and promotions
To get the most playtime from your budget, always claim any bonuses or promotions allowing you to play progressive games and withdraw the total amount should you win. Bonuses limit your risk and let you try more games while not burning your budget too soon.
Always play progressive jackpot games at licensed casinos.
To protect you from predatory operators and ensure that should you win a progressive jackpot, you will receive your winnings, we recommend only playing at casinos that are licensed and regulated in your country.
Progressive Jackpot Types
Progressive Jackpots Game Types
Contrary to what many believe, progressive jackpot games are not limited to online slots. Current online casinos offer progressive jackpots across a range of casino games, including slots, blackjack, roulette, video poker, keno and many more.
Classic Progressive Jackpots
Progressive jackpots are a side bet where players stand to win a far greater jackpot than the game itself offers. The jackpot amount starts with a seed amount and then grows by taking a small percentage of every wager placed on it and adding it to the prize pool. When the jackpot is won, the available prize pool is reset to the seed amount, and the process begins again.
Random Progressive Jackpots
Most progressive jackpots are won by meeting a specific game requirement, such as landing matching symbols on the reels of a slot machine. Random progressive jackpots are paid out whenever the random number generator overseeing the game determines it is time to award the prize, regardless of whether the game being played is a win or a loss.
Linked Progressive Jackpots
Linked progressive jackpot games are also known as network jackpots. A network is where several gambling sites offer the same jackpot game, with each player adding to the pool regardless of where they are playing. When a player wins, the jackpot total is reduced at all participating venues, not just the one where the win took place.
Fixed Jackpot Slots
Fixed jackpot slots are a popular type of progressive jackpot game. In this case, the games will offer several jackpots with specific win multipliers. The amount that is won is, therefore, directly linked to the size of the bet that is placed. These jackpots do not have a seed amount and can be won by multiple players who will receive the same reward.
FAQWhat is the meaning of progressive jackpots?
A progressive jackpot is a prize pool that takes a small percentage of all losing wagers and adds it to a growing prize pool. There is no limit to how large this prize pool can grow. However, once the prize is won, the available amount resets to the game’s seed value.Is it legal to play progressive jackpot slots online?
The progressive jackpot games we review are all provided by licensed casino game developers and are available at regulated online casinos.How often do progressive jackpots hit?
There is no way to predict when a progressive jackpot will hit because random number generators govern the payouts, and multiple online casinos offer players access to the same games. We recommend playing the games you enjoy. That way, landing a progressive win will be a stroke of luck.Which are the best progressive jackpot slots?
Progressive jackpots are available on a large variety of online and mobile slots. Regardless of your preference in theme, bonus features, bet settings or platform, there will be a progressive jackpot slot for you to enjoy.Can you win a progressive jackpot with a minimum bet?
While some progressive jackpot games can be triggered while playing minimum bets, this is not the case for all of them. If you manage a budget and prefer to stake the minimum bet, we recommend playing fixed jackpot games.What triggers a progressive jackpot?
There are two types of triggers for jackpot payouts. Most progressive jackpot games have predetermined win criteria which have to be met, such as collecting specific symbols on the reels of a slot machine. Progressive jackpots are also paid out at random, regardless of the casino game's outcome.Is it better to play progressive jackpot slots?
While progressive jackpot slots offer the potential for big wins, they are very high-volatility games. To balance your budget and experience all the fantastic gaming your favourite online casino offers, we recommend playing a mix of progressive and non-progressive casino games.How do progressive jackpots work?
Progressive jackpots are centralised prize pools funded by taking a small percentage of each non-winning bet placed on the game in question and adding it to the growing tally. When the jackpot is won, the amount is withdrawn from the prize pool, and the process begins again.How are progressive jackpots paid out?
In most cases, the jackpot provider will payout the total value of the win to the online casino. It is then the responsibility of the online casino to arrange payment with the player. As each casino sets its rules in this regard, it is essential to understand its terms regarding progressive jackpot wins.Are progressive jackpot games available on mobile?
Yes, all the leading progressive jackpot game providers have optimised their slots and table games for mobile.