Casinos for You
Blackjack is one of the most popular card games spread in online casinos. Learn the rules of blackjack and start playing today.
Blackjack is not about getting as close as possible to 21 with the cards you are dealt without going over it, but instead about beating the dealer. To beat the house at blackjack, you need to understand some basic rules of the game:
- Blackjack is played with anywhere between 1 to 8 decks of cards. A deck of cards consists of 52 cards.
- Aces can count as both 1 and 11, while face cards and tens are worth 10 points.
- Hand values are equal to the sum of the individual cards. Blackjack is the highest hand, consisting of an ace and any of the face value cards.
- Players place their bets, the dealer gives everyone including himself 2 cards. One of the dealer’s cards is facing up, while the facedown card is called ‘hole card.’
- In case the dealer has an Ace facing up, he offers ‘Insurance’ as a side bet, which pays 2:1 in case the dealer’s hole card is one of the 10-point cards.
- If he has an Ace or 10 after he offers the Insurance bet, he will look at his facedown card to see if it’s blackjack, and in case it is, will immediately reveal it.
- In case of a blackjack, all wagers are lost except the Insurance bet or unless the player has blackjack too, which results in push.
Player Choices in Blackjack
- Stand: Players stays put with his cards.
- Hit: Players draw one or more cards. If the total exceeds 21, known as ‘busting’ or ‘breaking’, the player loses.
- Double: Players doubles their bet and get one more card.
- Split: In case of 10-point cards or a pair, players can double their bet and create 2 individual hands. Now players receive an additional card for each of theirs and can choose to hit, stand or double. Getting an Ace and a 10 after splitting counts as 21, but not as blackjack.
Surrender: Players dismiss half their wager and do not play their hand, with this option only available for the first two cards. If the dealer has 16 or less, he draws another card.
If the dealer goes over 21 points, all players who didn’t bust win, and if the dealer doesn’t bust, the highest total wins.